- RT @hafsahfaizal: I'm ridiculously excited for THE HATE U GIVE by @acthomasbooks. So let's have a giveaway: RT + follow by 2/28 for a chanc… ->
- RT @bad_robot: RT for a chance to win a canvas tote, made at the Bad Robot Workshop! https://t.co/BYwlirwdbD ->
- RT @KirtidaGautam: I am reaching close to my 1000 followers!
Time for a give away 🙌
RT this tweet to win hardcover copy of MY SISTER ROSA… ->
- RT @OriginalFunko: RT & follow @OriginalFunko for the chance to win a Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 box from @CollectorCorps! https://t… ->
- RT @pagewithaview: ✨GIVEAWAY✨
RT + follow me to enter to win a signed hardcover of A Conjuring of Light by @veschwab! Ends March 7, open to… ->
- RT @Gryphongirl2007: Giveaway! RT & Follow to win the entire Legend trilogy. US only. Ends 3/22 @ 11pm EST https://t.co/YS3gYnsLyJ ->
- RT @LibyaLiberty: It's almost like he's a liar. https://t.co/TbIXxh9WoP ->
- RT @tmorello: In these dark and dangerous times it helps to sometimes step back and enjoy Animal Band Photos: https://t.co/YLjF8ttHrw ->
- RT @pstokesbooks: VICARIOUS is a dark, mind-bending thriller–great for fans of #MrRobot or #JessicaJones RT + follow by 2/26 for chance to… ->
- RT @mariamthekid: RT & Follow to win a signed/personalized copy of THE WRATH AND THE DAWN by @rahdieh! Ends 3/6 – US only (sorry!) https://… ->
- RT @deray: real. https://t.co/dvnbtq2aQb ->
- RT @allinwithchris: Constituent asks Sen. Tom Cotton: What kind of insurance do you have? #inners https://t.co/pdlCYxJMtz ->
- RT @CollectorCorps: RT & follow @CollectorCorps for a chance to win @Guardians Vol. 2 box! #GOTG2 https://t.co/YQJNYD2bOO ->
- RT @FunkoDCLegion: RT & follow @FunkoDCLegion for a chance to WIN a Walmart Exclusive Batmobile Dorbz Ridez! https://t.co/WCXcWat38B ->
- RT @SocialBflyMag: Social Sister Scarlett takes the Social Fur Sisters out and about! Win a $25 PetSmart GC! Follow, Fav & RT to win! https… ->
- RT @DanielleMuscato: The real story isn't Milo's downfall.
It's that we have discovered where the "moral" right wing draws the line. Not p… ->
- RT @dog_rates: This is Sunshine. She doesn't believe in personal space. Eyes pretty far apart for a dog. Has horns (whoa). 11/10 would pet… ->
- RT @Karnythia: Some of y'all need to be dragged kicking & screaming through actual history & not these romanticized myths of Jefferson's ob… ->
- RT @lmcgaughy: #Breaking:Staff could be fined, jailed under aggressive push to fight campus rape spurred by Baylor scandal https://t.co/N6… ->
- RT @freebresha: A wonderful photo of Bresha with her family. #FreeBresha https://t.co/5SnY5D0mvb ->
- RT @harto: These exist. https://t.co/ombGeH0hK7 ->
- RT @NerdyAsians: 75 years ago, 110,000 Japanese Americans were interned out of baseless fear… Remember them so it never happens again #Da… ->
- RT @Shattered_Earth: I have exactly two moods https://t.co/ghI735Eh5d ->
- RT @FunkoDCLegion: RT & follow @FunkoDCLegion for a chance to WIN a #NYCC Exclusive Hawkgirl Pop! https://t.co/26yy6Ruy80 ->
- RT @bbookrambles: RT & Follow to win an ARC of #StrangeTheDreamer by Laini Taylor! INTL, ends 2/26 ☺️
Bonus: What's your most anticipated… ->
- RT @OhNoSheTwitnt: If a woman POTUS were spending as much as Trump, people would be saying she was spending it all on shoes and purses. htt… ->
- RT @Christiana1987: Data says otherwise. The maternal mortality rate in the US is rising & black women are 3 times more likely to die in ch… ->
- RT @mic: You're more likely to be killed by a white man than a Muslim terrorist. https://t.co/dQx1uIgl2h ->
- RT @QueerXiChisme: Concept: Sex & the City but they show us Carrie's life as a hacker/scammer cuz she sure af wasn't living off a writer's… ->
- RT @Mysmileydog: Who doesn't loves a good back rub in the morning! https://t.co/FwigmRwrWT ->
- RT @SaIIyYates: Goals! https://t.co/qlk4yKihIO ->
- RT @Freeyourmindkid: Can yall imagine the outrage if Obama spent every weekend at "The Chicago White House" where he would party with frien… ->
- Woman Brings Home Dying Shelter Dog So 'She'll Feel Loved For 24 Hours' https://t.co/qLKkXSfqTa ->
- Someone dumped 1,000 tiny chicks in a field and left them to die ➡️ by @lee_moran https://t.co/mborbDLvTR via @HuffPostCrime ->
- RT @ava: This is the great L. Alex Wilson. A black journalist who was beaten by an angry white mob as he covered the Little Rock Nine. #Not… ->
- RT @MinkuAzad: One of the most influential animal rights theorists, Tom Regan, passed away today.
- RT @MinkuAzad: ISIS has murdered people in Pakistan at least 2x this week, in Sindh & Lahore. 💔
Most of the world doesn't care.
- RT @FarmSanctuary: Our Southern CA Shelter residents are riding out the storm well (the pigs dined on the patio!). We'll be closed tomorrow… ->
- RT @EmrgencyKittens: Guac is extra. https://t.co/QvYsu94yjl ->
- RT @Kieraplease: Me as Hermoine ✨
Artwork by @marianne_khalil https://t.co/IvbNeS61iZ ->
- RT @onetailatatime: @T_S_Richards @dog_rates ❤️❤️❤️ https://t.co/4iaUQgsETo ->
- RT @dog_rates: For more Smiley you can follow @Mysmileydog 🐶 ->
- RT @dog_rates: Say hello to Smiley. He's a blind therapy doggo having a h*ckin blast high steppin around in the snow. 14/10 would follow an… ->
- RT @cher: 🚽Says "his administration is running like a fine tuned machine".
Yes….a Garbage Disposal ->
- RT @TeaPainUSA: Trump just claimed he received the "greatest electoral victory since Ronald Reagan." Really? https://t.co/UOVRLIV0vJ ->
- RT @TODAYshow: WATCH: Blind golden retriever has the best snow day! https://t.co/eMIOHrIbJO ->
- RT @dog_rates: Your dog is allowed to be your valentine I checked ->
- RT @dog_rates: This is Miguel. He was the only remaining doggo at the adoption center after the weekend. Let's change that. 12/10
- RT @dog_rates: This is Klein. These pics were taken a month apart. He knows he's a stud now. 12/10 total heartthrob https://t.co/guDkLrX8zV ->
- RT @nnnnnnnn: Roses are red /
Your eyes are like heaven / https://t.co/ddSmtZNuuu ->
- RT @beyhivedc: Record executive on why Beyonce lost Album of the Year. #GrammysSoWhite https://t.co/UG92562ohh ->
- RT @laurenduca: I know we're, like, burnt out on ethical atrocities and all, but potential Presidential treason must be exhaustively probed… ->
- RT @cveidson: Roses make me nervous
Gravity is omnidirectional
Your feminism is worthless
If it's not intersectional ->
- RT @jeneps: This was literally today https://t.co/oqLJMmK57F ->
- RT @cathleendecker: Paul Ryan 1 mo ago: "But if you're worried about…some deportation force coming, knocking on your door this year, don'… ->
- RT @1followernodad: idk we're mainly fighting fascism & paying off student loans right now https://t.co/HURkVZoACb ->
- RT @HamillMania: Just in case you're having a bad day 💕 @HamillHimself https://t.co/LxyXENhFBx ->
- RT @punkcred: the sun, the moon, the earth, the sea. https://t.co/kLvxyeTlNT ->
- RT @tfswebb: find a man who looks at you the way russell crowe looks at maps https://t.co/fOQgWj7dMc ->
- RT @FunkoDCLegion: RT & follow @FunkoDCLegion for a chance to WIN a #DCSuperHeroGirls Harley Quinn Rock Candy figure! https://t.co/94UkjDRO… ->
“It’s mostly about machine tits”
(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic ARC for review through NetGalley.)
This is for all the grown women out there
Whose countries hate them and their brothers
Who carry knives in their purses down the street
Maybe they will not get out alive
Maybe they will turn into air or news or brown flower petals
There are more beautiful things than Beyoncé:
Lavender, education, becoming other people,
The fucking sky
(“Please Wait (Or, There Are More Beautiful Things Than Beyoncé)”)
I don’t read a ton of poetry, since it mostly tends to go over my head. There are the rare exceptions, of course: stories written in verse, and the occasional feminist title; see, e.g. The Princess Saves Herself in this One. But mostly I shy away from it, since it makes me feel … not the sharpest tool in the shed.
That said, between the title and the cover, There Are More Beautiful Things Than Beyoncé proved pretty much impossible to pass up. While I’m sure I missed out on many of the cultural references – I’m white, and this is a collection of poetry about black womanhood – and didn’t pick up all the varied and more veiled messages that Parker was putting down, I enjoyed it all the same. I read it cover-to-cover three times in two days, and with each successive reading, discovered something new. Parker’s poetry sparkles and shines and cuts more deeply, the more time you spend with it.
It’s hard to play favorites, since each piece has at least one or two especially memorable lines. (To wit: “At school they learned that Black people happened.”) But among the poems that really stood out to me are Hottentot Venus; Beyoncé On The Line for Gaga; Afro; These Are Dangerous Times, Man; RoboBeyoncé; 13 Ways of Looking at a Black Girl; The Gospel According to Her; The Gospel of Jesus’s Wife; White Beyoncé; What Beyoncé Won’t Say on a Shrink’s Couch; It’s Getting Hot In Here So Take Off All Your Clothes; The Book of Revelation; 99 Problems; and the titular Please Wait (Or, There Are More Beautiful Things Than Beyoncé).
There are forty-two poems total, twenty-five of which have previously been published elsewhere. For those keeping count at home, thirteen have Beyoncé in the title. The Beyoncé/Lady Gaga mashups are fun, if only because I enjoy imagining them hanging together – or swapping bodies in a Freaky Friday twist.
I feel like I should say more but idk how to read poetry, let alone review it. There Are More Beautiful Things Than Beyoncé is a fierce, funny, and subversive collection of poetry. You don’t need to be a member of the Bey Hive to love it (but it sure doesn’t hurt). It’s earned a permanent spot on my Kindle so I can return to it as needed over the next four to eight (please dog no) years.
- RT @scATX: From two years ago: https://t.co/TSJcngWLAo ->
- RT @Bey_Legion: Ethereal. #GRAMMYs https://t.co/JEL2rJcGBt ->
- RT @FIirtationship: Beyonce's full performance
RT to save a life https://t.co/5xvyBO6wrl ->
- RT @dodo: This bird lost all her feathers when she got sick — but she has the BEST mom now and can't stop singing. https://t.co/Ug1dLt2m2e ->
- RT @fivefifths: Bruno Mars was created in a lab as a music legend tribute ->
- RT @ggreenwald: Clinton's top CIA surrogate Mike Morrell has been urging Putin give Snowden to Trump as a "gift." Russia's response: https:… ->
- RT @CollectorCorps: RT & follow @CollectorCorps for a chance to win a Matt Murdock & Wilson Fisk Daredevil Rivals Pop! & Dorbz prize pack!… ->
- RT @Freeyourmindkid: Hey @ATT , is this your employee?!? Yall probably shouldn't have a monster working for yall. Retweet this yall. https:… ->
- RT @FunkoDCLegion: RT & follow @FunkoDCLegion for a chance to WIN a #NYCC Exclusive White Lantern #Batman Pop! https://t.co/dTJGgSBQtL ->
- I'm #reading The Last Final Girl by Stephen Graham Jones https://t.co/RsPGHEsxXN ->
- RT @jk_rowling: Because you had a premonition that one day the author would roar with laughter at seeing you called out for your bullshit o… ->
- RT @AngryBlackLady: Another glorious morning in the United States of Are you fucking kidding me ->
- RT @RawStory: 'Oh f*ck off!': Jim Jefferies and Maher panel smack down Piers Morgan's concern trolling on Trump #RealTime https://t.co/RZZc… ->
- RT @Scott_Gilmore: "…agents going door-to-door… asking people to present their papers." https://t.co/OpwAwktj0F ->
- Woman Adopts A Pitbull, And The Dog Can’t Stop Hugging Her | Bored Panda https://t.co/lriYZtqO9l via @boredpanda ->
- RT @CRTermini: Flash giveaway! I just finished Traitor to the Throne, so F/RT to win my arc. Ends Feb 13 at midnight EST. https://t.co/lzpK… ->
- RT @OriginalFunko: RT & follow @OriginalFunko for the chance to win an @emeraldcitycon 2017 exclusive Peppermint Patty Pop! https://t.co/ry… ->
An Illustrated Version of the Robert Louis Stevenson Poem
(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic ARC for review through Edelweiss.)
The Land of Nod
By Robert Louis Stevenson
From breakfast on through all the day
At home among my friends I stay,
But every night I go abroad
Afar into the land of Nod.
All by myself I have to go,
With none to tell me what to do
All alone beside the streams
And up the mountain-sides of dreams.
The strangest things are there for me,
Both things to eat and things to see,
And many frightening sights abroad
Till morning in the land of Nod.
Try as I like to find the way,
I never can get back by day,
Nor can remember plain and clear
The curious music that I hear.
— 3.5 stars —
Robert Hunter’s The Land of Nod is an illustrated children’s book based on the Robert Louis Stevenson poem of the same name; the poem is produced verbatim, and coupled with illustrations to help bring the text to life.
The art is simple yet whimsical, with a dream-like quality. Hunter uses quite a bit of blues and pinks, which is reminiscent of twilight, I guess, but doesn’t always do the poem’s psychedelic potential justice. The palette just feels a little flat for my taste.
Despite the ominous reference to “frightening sights,” the art is very tame and totally suitable for children of all ages.
I especially appreciated the landscape for “Both things to eat and things to see,” which shows a pig happily blowing on a horned instrument in the dreamer’s band, while the leader foists a giant raspberry in the air.
Pigs are friends, not food! Or BAMF tuba prodigies. Either or.
- RT @AbortionFunds: Margaret Atwood's #TheHandmaidsTale is the latest dystopian novel to top Amazon's best-seller list. https://t.co/HTnuK2x… ->
- RT @adamconover: Saying "SEE YOU IN COURT" after losing a court case is like yelling "LET'S TAKE THIS OUTSIDE" after you just lost a fight… ->
- RT @Becky_LoveDemi: RT & FOLLOW Me🎉🎊😊For a chance to win a preorder of one of these amazing books📚📚😍❤💖🙌👏🏻 Ends 2/24 Intl ok, Good luck😊 htt… ->
- RT @humansofny: “She lost her back legs when she got hit by a car. She’d already been returned to the shelter twice already. She’s a lot of… ->
- RT @SabichiLtd: Its #NationalPizzaDay today! @SabichiLtd ❤️🍕!
Have a gift from us to enjoy your pizza ;) RT+Follow to #win!Ends tonight! #… ->
- RT @nwarikoo: Civil rights group in Detroit blasts Dearborn Police for how it treated 2 white men vs. how it dealt with blacks in 2 police… ->
- RT @nwarikoo: Open-carry advocates wearing ski masks enter Dearborn police station, repeatedly refuse police orders to remove guns https://… ->
- RT @OriginalFunko: RT & follow @OriginalFunko for the chance to win an Empire Strikes Back box from Smuggler's Bounty! #SnowDay https://t.c… ->
- RT @FunkoDCLegion: RT & follow @FunkoDCLegion for a chance to WIN! a Walmart Exclusive Dorbz Pack, with Zur-En-Arrh #Batman & Classic TV Se… ->
- RT @OriginalFunko: RT & follow @OriginalFunko for the chance to win a Negan Pop! https://t.co/DB8tSCITPx ->
- RT @dog_rates: This is Dexter. He was reunited with his mom yesterday after she was stuck in Iran during the travel Bannon. 13/10 welcome h… ->
- RT @michikokakutani: "They Thought They Were Free" (1955), interviews w. ordinary Germans abt why they did not initially resist the Nazis h… ->
- RT @BlackMarvelGirl: RETWEET if you approve of Martellus Bennett who will not attend the celebration at the White House b/c he doesn't like… ->