- RT @BarzdaLyricist: IMAGINE FEEDING 40,000 CHILDREN JUST TO BE CALLED "AFRICAN MILLIONAIRE'S WIFE" ..TF HER NAME IS TSITSI MASIYIWA https:/… ->
- RT @OriginalFunko: RT & follow @OriginalFunko for the chance to win a Power Rangers Pop! prize pack! #PowerRangersMovie https://t.co/kUdQvp… ->
- RT @OriginalFunko: RT & follow @OriginalFunko for the chance to win a Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 box from Marvel Collector Corps!
- RT @RileyRedgate: ⭐️big giveaway!⭐️ RT/follow to win:
🎵signed NOTEWORTHY arc!
🎵7WWL pb &bookmark!
🎵download of NOTEWORTHY's soundtrack!
- RT @LJSilverman1: GIRL OUT OF WATER giveaway! Win a signed ARC, matching eyeshadow palette, and mini summer notebook! RT/F by 4/2! Open int… ->
- RT @jamisonwebb: 1 down, 98 to go https://t.co/qB7K707l5a ->
- RT @JuddLegum: There are many restaurants in DC. Trump goes to the ones in his hotel because IT MAKES HIM MONEY. ->
- RT @aklingus: it's almost like someone's going back in time and planting these tweets without them knowing https://t.co/6iX8eM4Blo ->
- RT @EmrgencyKittens: His first time walking in the snow https://t.co/Cakm4KitzS ->
- RT @chanelpuke: I aspire to be just like her https://t.co/qWtjlRWIm6 ->
- RT @FOX13Memphis: PLEASE SHARE: 7-month-old taken from daycare, police say. Help us spread the word. https://t.co/eGhRc30NeG https://t.co/b… ->
- RT @Hannah_Bevis1: In cute cat news, my mom put up an Easter decal on our front door and it makes Gigi look like a Dr. Seuss character. htt… ->
- RT @djolder: Obama: Such a blunder sometimes it makes me wonder why I even bring the thunder
Biden: Why he even brings the thunda https://t… ->
- RT @KatrinaNation: What Reproductive Rights Advocates Can Learn From Texas (Yes, Texas) https://t.co/YJb9HLQ287 via @yesmagazine ->
- RT @seanspicer: does #obamacare cover pain from a loss this big? ->
- RT @FullFrontalSamB: Delaying the health care vote today to try to figure out what a woman is. https://t.co/ezu5p4r40A ->
- RT @standup: .@TiffanyHaddish channels @LoveTinaTurner for "Proud Mary." See her full performance on The #ComedyJam: https://t.co/t5rzBYEgq… ->
- Win a KitchenAid Stand Mixer From the Snag Free Samples Giveaway of the month! https://t.co/cJs1e7Gmne @SnagFreeSamples ->
- RT @RVAwonk: .@RepTedLieu is calling for a "total and complete shutdown" of voting on all Trump agenda items until #TrumpRussia probe is co… ->
- RT @ezlusztig: Periodic reminder: If Trump cheated to obtain office & is forced to resign, the rightful President is not Mike Pence.
- RT @melaninbarbie: i was born with glass bones and paper skin. Every morning I break my legs and every afternoon I break my arms. At night… ->
- RT @BitchFlicks: #Logan: On Death and Dying. And Mutants. https://t.co/tNEqTKpsuv by @andemorgan https://t.co/NESpxZ6SNN ->
- RT @thinkprogress: The bigotry behind Colin Kaepernick’s unemployment
https://t.co/LE6dNa3Xv2 https://t.co/HewvrS41Z6 ->
- RT @SignatureReads: ICYMI: ‘Get Out’ Director @JordanPeele Wants Young, Black Filmmakers to Send Him Their Scripts https://t.co/v1gkrcWaYG… ->
- RT @Bey_Legion: Beyoncé facetiming with Ebony, a fan with a rare cancer disease whose last wish was to see Beyoncé. ❤️️💙 https://t.co/OUVJa… ->
- RT @MargaretAtwood: It looks like a scene from upcoming @HandmaidsOnHulu TV series! https://t.co/7LWfhYgspN ->
- Demand a special prosecutor to investigate Jeff Sessions and Russian involvement in the 2016 election: https://t.co/Yn8KXRl2Tj ->
- RT @dog_rates: HE WAS DOING A SNOOZE NO SHAME IN A SNOOZE 13/10 https://t.co/Gu5wHx3CBd ->
- RT @thetrudz: "Don't critique the bad; only uplift the good" is a *terrible* either/or approach to consuming and examining media. ->
- RT @alluneedisswift: tomi lahren: "liberal snowflakes will silence anyone who doesn't say what they think"
tammy: says she's pro choice
- RT @FeralCrone: 4yo son said the word prototype. When I asked him what it meant, he said "People are a prototype" and I was too scared to a… ->
- RT @diancalondon: "If you are silent about your pain, they'll kill you and say you enjoyed it." – Zora Neale Hurston #WomensHistoryMonth #r… ->
- RT @ShaunKing: Guards in this Florida prison boiled #DarrenRainey to death.
NONE OF THEM will be held accountable or even fired.
- RT @bettinajudd: Just saw someone refer to Trump supporters as Cult45 and I am mad that I never thought of it. ->
- RT @Mysmileydog: Test driving some new beds today because that's what you do when you're 105 (dog years). It's all about your comfort. http… ->
- RT @cmpriest: Lucy, outnumbered by cats. https://t.co/2J8x9dbnNz ->
- RT @RegalMovies: Don't miss your chance! FOLLOW & RT for a chance to win this #BeautyAndTheBeast prize courtesy of @IMAX! Tickets: https://… ->
- RT @jujubeekennedy: When LA traffic lets you watch this dude walk alongside his old doggo with a red wagon in case he needed it
YOU CAN DO… ->
- RT @Crystal1Johnson: 8th grader, Kory Terrell is the Texas Spelling Bee champion! Show him some love. These things go unnoticed! ✊🏿✊🏿✊🏿 htt… ->
- RT @HopeJahren: And they are meant to send a message: that this administration has the power to withhold the food that goes into your mouth… ->
- RT @HopeJahren: They are an attack on the culture of sharing. An attack on the culture of curiosity. An attack on the culture of caretaking… ->
- RT @HopeJahren: Trump's budget cuts are not financially motivated; they free up relatively small amounts of $. Instead, they are an attack… ->
- RT @Fusion: The diverse America Donald Trump hates has handed him one of his most humiliating defeats: https://t.co/M5Y2ruigUY https://t.co… ->
- RT @CiteSomething: Giveaway! ARC of THE GENTLEMAN’S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE. RT & follow to enter by 3/20 9 pm (CT). 1 follower will win.… ->
- RT @DJGeeBill: Most rapists coming from Mexico are just frat boys returning from spring break ->
- RT @KiteaBrie: #PSHHappyHour @OriginalFunko batman in his spring camouflage https://t.co/KQltqNqwrY ->
- RT @natemcdermott: Thank God for Serena Williams https://t.co/R5YwnQwI25 ->
- RT @screencrushnews: Kate McKinnon will voice not one, but three characters in animated French-Canadian film ‘Leap!’ https://t.co/GRsEspBcA… ->
- RT @kimventrella: #Win a copy of #DreamlandBurning RT & F @jenandapen and @kimventrella by midnight 3/23 to enter #giveaway Int'l ok #YAlit… ->
An insightful and sometimes uncanny story about relationships, trauma, and the darkest corners of our secret selves.
(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic ARC for review through NetGalley. Trigger warning for rape.)
There were still little green ribbons covering Lisa’s locker, but every morning some would have fallen down overnight, scattered like tiny leaves, and she would pick them up and toss them into the bottom of her own locker. How long would they let that locker, 64C, sit there, unused? How long did missing-person ribbons stay up? Was there an expiration date, some point where they officially became irrelevant, a day when the fall of Lisa Bellow became the winter of someone else, as Evan had predicted from the start?
“You’re popular,” Jules said. “I can’t believe it. Of all of us, I didn’t think it would be you first.”
Maybe they were all bitches, Claire thought. Maybe that was all there was to be in eighth grade. Maybe you didn’t have any choice. Maybe your only choice was figuring out what kind of bitch you wanted to be.
One crisp October afternoon, thirteen-year-old Meredith Oliver stops by the Deli Barn on the way home from school, to treat herself to a root beer soda for a job well done on her algebra test. Ahead of her in line stands her arch nemesis, Parkway North Middle School’s resident Mean Girl, Lisa Bellow. Her presence so unnerves Meredith that she almost turned tail and ran – that is, until Lisa caught her eye through the door. She couldn’t show Lisa any weakness, not with so much at stake.
As the sandwich farmer* is taking Lisa’s order (overly complicated, natch), a masked man strides in and robs the cashier at gunpoint. He forces Meredith and Lisa to lay down on the sticky floor of the restaurant while he walks the cashier to the back of the store, in search of a safe that doesn’t exist. When he comes back – alone – he forces Lisa to her feet and leaves with her. Traumatized, Meredith stays on the floor for another eleven minutes (“eleven glorious minutes”), until another customer walks in and find her. Even then, it takes a group of paramedics and “a needle full of Thorazine to peel her from her cherished spot.”
The Fall of Lisa Bellow is a strange and wonderful book. It’s about how Meredith copes with the trauma of the robbery and kidnapping, yes; but hers is not the only trauma we bear witness to. Meredith’s mother, Claire; her seventeen-year-old brother Ethan; Lisa’s mother Colleen; and Lisa’s friends Becca, Abby, and Amanda – all of them are working through their own “stuff,” not all of it related to Lisa’s disappearance. Yet the ripples of her kidnapping and likely murder reverberate through all their lives.
- RT @Benjaminoftomes: 🔥RT & follow @oftomes for one winner to win this pile of #Oftomes books! 🔥
It's international & ends March 31st!
📖 go… ->
- RT @CiteSomething: Giveaway! ARC of THE GENTLEMAN’S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE. RT & follow to enter by 3/20 9 pm (CT). 1 follower will win.… ->
- Urge the Lancaster Event Center and Sesostris Shrine to Go Animal- Free! https://t.co/uUaHDr8H2B ->
- RT @dog_rates: This is Dawn. She's just checking pup on you. Making sure you're doing okay. 12/10 she's here if you need her https://t.co/X… ->
- RT @PAYOLETTER: cats who prove all boxes are cat-sized: a thread https://t.co/y7m2iuH4bn ->
- RT @bbookrambles: RT & Follow to win an ARC of ROAR! (INTL, ends in 1 week) #InternationalWomensDay https://t.co/iBH0TaXpQI ->
- RT @OriginalFunko: RT & follow @OriginalFunko for the chance to win an @emeraldcitycon 2017 exclusive Captain America Pop! https://t.co/sCt… ->
- RT @onetailatatime: Every day is #NationalNappingDay if you're a dog (lucky bastards). https://t.co/abVGhJTpI8 ->
- Tell Congress to support a new bill to end military animal use in combat training: https://t.co/kVQLou8Mqh #BESTPracticesAct via @PCRM ->
Lorena Alvarez’s Artwork Positively Shines!
(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic ARC for review through Edelweiss.)
Atoms are the smallest building blocks of matter. We are not able to see them with the naked eye … but everything that surrounds up is made of atoms. The stars … our bodies … the entire universe. They combine in millions of ways to create all the things we see and touch … and all the things we haven’t seen yet.
— 4.5 stars —
Every night when she closes her eyes, shiny little bubbles (stars? bursts of light and energy and joy?) appear over Sandy’s bed. When she catches them, she’s transported to another place: one filled with vibrant colors; giant, wide-eyed creatures; and funky plants of every shade and hue. In the morning, she fills her room with drawings of these other worlds (occasionally neglecting her homework to do so. Oops!)
One day Sandy meets a mysterious new girl in the schoolyard: tale, pale to the point of translucence, with light purple hair. (Surely the nuns would have something to say about that?) Morfie is at first a welcome distraction; whereas the other kids think Sandy’s kind of weird, Morfie fawns over her artwork. But things take a sinister turn when Morfie begins to visit Sandy at inopportune times, and a nefarious, razor-toothed demon-child haunts Sandy’s dream-world.
This sounds maybe a little scarier than it actually is. While Lorena Alvarez’s illustrations do pack a bit of a bite, they’re also lovely and whimsical and full of color and life. The target audience for Nightlights is ages nine and up, but adults are sure to be won over by the artwork. Some of the pages are suitable for framing, okay.
As for the moral of the story, I’m not entirely sure I got it. In Morfie, I think there’s a message about following your passion because you love it, and not for the praise and awards and external feedback you hope to get from others. Staying true to yourself, because yours is the opinion that counts. It’s also important to strike a balance between work and play, responsibilities and extracurricular activities, science and the arts. And if you know why things are, it only makes them more wondrous.
I also love the diversity here: from the students to the parents to the nuns/teachers, there are girls and women of all skin tones, shapes, and sizes. Lorena Alvarez was born in Bogotá, and the story definitely feels like it could be set in Columbia.
Comments (May contain spoilers!)
Diversity: Yes! See my review for more.
Animal-friendly elements: n/a
- RT @robinthede: At my niece's bday party! My sister said "all the girls have to dress as princesses"…. then I realized she didn't mean th… ->
- RT @munozam2001: my brother tells me to shut up when I'm not even saying anything https://t.co/d6WjaSPO2B ->
- RT @PreetBharara: I did not resign. Moments ago I was fired. Being the US Attorney in SDNY will forever be the greatest honor of my profess… ->
- RT @Chris_Meloni: #boom https://t.co/rIQcMi4PtV ->
- RT @ChaseMadar: If the US government were serious about cutting healthcare spending, they'd socialize entire system. It's much cheaper that… ->
- RT @holly_holl: wh…why would you expect your dog to recognize Denzel Washington https://t.co/bilDoPkPJk ->
- RT @Mysmileydog: "Yay the snow is back" said only Smiley https://t.co/tfG4t2NM4w ->
- RT @julieburtonwmc: In Women’s Strike, Media Miss a Moment to Look in Mirror https://t.co/pnOWTijqrU ->
- RT @DcComicsUnited: Should be here soon.. https://t.co/pu49didkSP ->
- That took a turn. – Liam Neeson Calls George Costanza's Answering Machine https://t.co/Ns6AsrFWhs ->
Oh, my Rennie. Given the year (decade?) we’ve had (and we’re not even a quarter of the way through yet!), you have to live forever. Or at least to the ripe old age of twenty-three. Anything else might very well kill me. No pressure or anything. :P
On that note, I know that today is kind of blah, but I promise that we’ll celebrate your birthday-slash-adoption-day-a-versary in true We Rate Dogs style next week. Your uncle Mike is coming to visit, and there will be loads of walks, belly rubs aplenty, and, dog willing, maybe even a trip to the drive-in (or two or three). We will cram so much fun into so few days that you may never want to chase a ball again. Just kidding! Knock on wood! The day that happens will be a sad one indeed.
On that note: I love you! But I have calls to make, books to sort, and maybe even a few people to yell at. We shall see how the day progresses. Just know that I’m doing it all for you. You and Mags and Finnick, you’re the reason for my being. The things I’m trying to claw my way back for. You three are my everything.
Love you, forever and always,
- RT @internet_seeker: lmao HOw is this a real thing??? https://t.co/hw8ZGP1UbN ->
- RT @btiarao: Ex: #SandraBland couldn't afford her $5,000 bail & was forced to stay in jail. 3 days later she was found dead in her cell. #B… ->
- RT @fivefifths: "Allowed" https://t.co/6F5sQMOfeL ->
- RT @EricHaywood: Is this the Trump administration's version of #GetOut or nah https://t.co/NpsKuUuFqw ->
- RT @grynbaum: State Dept asked NYC Medical Examiner not to disclose cause of death of Russian UN ambassador who died last month https://t.c… ->
- RT @fieriwap: I love gene https://t.co/eAyCp2d9cu ->
- @gourmet_nuts Neat! DM me & we'll talk. :) in reply to gourmet_nuts ->
- RT @OriginalFunko: RT & follow @OriginalFunko for the chance to win a @HotTopic exclusive Poison Ivy Pop! https://t.co/IFioV8dkrr ->
- RT @RegalMovies: FOLLOW us & RT for a chance to win this #Logan's Journey poster signed by @RealHughJackman! Get Logan tickets: https://t.c… ->
- RT @OriginalFunko: RT & follow @OriginalFunko for the chance to win a Barbie Rock Candy prize pack! Happy Barbie Day! https://t.co/avv9xSqh… ->