- "The odd thing about people who had many books was how they always wanted more." – Patricia A. McKillip,… http://t.co/n7TrFe6Vwv ->
- Photoset: fuckyeahveganicecream: With or without the chocolate-covered almonds, this was bangin’. Chocolate… http://t.co/rtjsOgBrdt ->
- RT @markhawthorne: Giant anteaters kill two hunters in Brazil http://t.co/gH0KP6WYqK ->
- RT @WaysideWaifs: Bear, one of our long-term Waifs is fully taking advantage of this beautiful day!!
http://t.co/1dTgmv4HzV http://t.co/iv… ->
- @So_Delicious Coffee marshmallow with a caramel swirl! #Pintapalooza #vegan in reply to So_Delicious ->
- RT @So_Delicious: #Pintapalooza! Win a custom pack of pints- tweet your dream flavor to @So_delicious to enter! http://t.co/gkz4lsiEvv http… ->
- 4 of 5 stars to If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan https://t.co/bTwuB36BRV ->
- Satanists want Hobby Lobby-style religious exemption from anti-choice counseling laws http://t.co/8FFerhpQbI via @Salon ->
- Photoset: tastefullyoffensive: Anatomy of Songs [wronghands] http://t.co/5v2qAQgHWb ->
- Win an ebook of Help Fund My Robot Army with stories by Samuel Peralta and Jason Gurley http://t.co/eWAOcofsCy ->
- Book Review: The Miseducation of Cameron Post by emily m. danforth (2012) – http://t.co/IAKltTW0z0 #weneeddiversebooks #lgbtq ->
- Photo: anothergenericbookblog: ERMAGHERD I HAVE 500 FOLLOWERS (550+ now technically). I never thought this… http://t.co/8p119Q5vrr ->
- THE FOURTH WISH by Lindsay Ribar is here! Enter to win a copy! http://t.co/GN6bMdFRXo ->
- @vedgedout giveaway of @vegancuts #veganfamilystarterkit or #dogloversbox going on now!http://t.co/Cvs608aH0H http://t.co/o3YVZEB0aO ->
- Stop by the #Transcender blog tour by @SavageVicky and win some incredible prizes including $50 GC (INT)! @CAhnBooks http://t.co/HLUJgbGWvs ->
- Chapter by Chapter Book Rave! Over 80+ authors! I WANT TO GO! http://t.co/8TnaTNBPKG #cbcbr ->
- GCReading is celebrating 10,000 "Likes" on Facebook! Check out this AWESOME giveaway! http://t.co/tPo0q0BRsU ->
- .@ellabeereads finally posted her BEA14 book haul and is giving away a stack of ARCs to celebrate. Enter to win! http://t.co/Rxq6TUG4o4 ->
- (Int) Win 3 @strangechem books from @UTM_Reviews ! Ends 1st August. http://t.co/TAE9T2ENaG ->
- Photoset: meaganspooner: Years ago, when I first started blogging about writing and my hopes of one day… http://t.co/2VrC5Upna6 ->
- Click To Give @ The Animal Rescue Site http://t.co/azqH1dZ2Xa via @po_st ->
- Day 883 of my 364 day @invisalign treatment. http://t.co/i7Krtb3dmL #invisalign #invisalignproblems ->
- RT @OpinionessWorld: Why I Don’t Care Why You Don’t Use Birth Control http://t.co/Q1ovQCrTBU via @Feminspire ->
- Photoset: alanlozano: Vegan Police http://t.co/7AZfJKoGE5 ->
- 10% done with The Deviant Underground, by Elisabeth Roseland http://t.co/QjipaNfggM ->
Cameron Post was twelve years old when she first kissed a girl. Her best friend Irene Klauson, in the Klausons’ hayloft, one hot, sweltering June afternoon before the start of seventh grade.
The very next day, Cam’s parents died. En route to the annual camping trip, their car jumped a guardrail at Quake Lake – where Joanie Wynton (now Joanie Post) and her family had escaped death by earthquake and flood decades earlier.
So begins The Miseducation of Cameron Post: The afternoon my parents died, I was out shoplifting with Irene Klauson.
The year is 1989, long before most Americans had heard of gay marriage, at a time when voters were repealing gay rights legislation not just in middle America, but on the West Coast as well. Growing up in the conservative, church-going small town of Miles City, Montana, Cameron doesn’t know what to make of her budding feelings for her best friend – and for the girls who will follow: Lindsey, Cam’s main competition during the summer swim meets; Coley, her impossibly gorgeous high school classmate and fellow church member; and Mona, an experienced college-aged lifeguard/Coley rebound.
- 5 of 5 stars to The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth https://t.co/usHoJS0eZN ->
- RT @972mag: NOW: 1000s in Tel Aviv protest Gaza war. Photo: Israelis light candles to commemorate victims. (by @activestills) http://t.co/d… ->
- RT @LiveVegan: Empathizing w/ #Gaza does NOT make me anti-Semitic, nor pro-#Hamas or anti-#Israel. It makes me human. http://t.co/1hphwEjuG… ->
- Photoset: nubbsgalore: honduran white tent bats roosting under a heliconia leaf, which they sever down the… http://t.co/PJs3c3Or8o ->
- Feminist Science Fiction Is the Best Thing Ever http://t.co/eaFwnyUH6i via @motherboard ->
- RT @stephest21: Follow me and RT this by 7/31 to enter to win goodies shown! Multiple prize packs!#freebookfriday #bookgiveaway #free http:… ->
- RT @UNRWA: #Gaza: It has been reported that 6 out of 13 hospitals in Gaza have now been severely damaged during this conflict. ->
- Photo: anothergenericbookblog: ERMAGHERD I HAVE 500 FOLLOWERS (550+ now technically). I never thought this… http://t.co/LN3PXIBJSW ->
- Photoset: fotojournalismus: Day 19: Palestinian death toll passes 1,000 | July 26, 2014 Thousands of Gaza… http://t.co/pLAsni73vJ ->
- Rosemary Strawberry Banana Ice Cream – http://t.co/ks60pKrb1d #vegan #icecream #whatveganseat #recipes ->
This recipe came about because I needed to use up some ripening strawberries stat, and I wanted to try something other than plain old strawberry-banana. The rosemary certainly makes for an interested addition – it gives the ice cream more of a savory feel – but I’m not sure it’s my absolute favorite. I guess I’m just more of a strawberry shortcake kind of girl, you know?
Strawberry Rosemary Banana Ice Cream
(Makes just under one quart of ice cream.)
3 cups strawberries, diced
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3-4 overripe bananas, peeled, sliced and frozen
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (or several sprigs fresh rosemary) + extra to taste
sugar to taste (optional)
a splash of non-dairy milk or creamer, if needed
- RT @MartinaABoone: Win any three of your choice. Just share and follow by 8/18 to enter. International! http://t.co/5jbDdxJq0H #YAlit http:… ->
- RT @NoTrophyHunting: This has to be up there with the cutest photos ever. How utterly gorgeous are these fat bottoms! #notrophyhunting htt… ->
- RT @funnyordie: Zombie minion #sdcc http://t.co/2vKKFYLEmF ->
- Photoset: thepeoplesrecord: Florida city police department embedded with KKK members July 21, 2014 Ann… http://t.co/UXqvKt5LKG ->
- RT @BitchFlicks: Keep an Eye Out for These Five New Women-Directed Horror and Action Films http://t.co/cZ8rdKdraF by @zchevat via @BitchMed… ->
Phantasmic Reads and Novel Heartbeat are hosting the 2nd Annual Beat the Heat Readathon from August 11th through September 1st. Basically the idea is to hang out in an air conditioned building – or maybe the beach, if it isn’t too toasty – and read your little heart out. Who cares about the reading on the thermostat when there’s a girl on fire demanding your attention!?!
You can set the goal – for me, that’s six books – and there will be some min-challenges, too. You have until August 25th to sign up (here!).
Once 8/11 arrives, you can track my progress on this post. Six books doesn’t sound terribly impressive, but at two a week (and not counting kid’s books or short stories!), I think it’s enough to keep things interesting. At least on my end anyway. (Hey, I’ve already exceeded my goal for the Summer Reading Program, so you never know!)
Let’s do this thing!
- 5 of 5 stars to Project Unicorn, Volume 1 by Sarah Diemer https://t.co/GiPYKeEuMS ->
- 4 of 5 stars to Delivering Yaehala by Annie Bellet https://t.co/Fbj8RJRGnR ->
- Finished with Delivering Yaehala, by Annie Bellet http://t.co/ffPO78gVKk ->
- Beautiful dream of Israel has become a nightmare http://t.co/amQGi1cb7E via @torontostar ->
- Rikers Island must end human rights abuses https://t.co/zUBf60hM0T ->
- RT @PepperTheDog: #AdoptDog #CA Connor: Connor's Story: Connor and Sprite… http://t.co/KtXABDFV9z Plz RT 2 Help ->
- RT @WoodstockFarm: CNN asks: why not eat shelter dogs? http://t.co/ha0Ka3CQ8H ->
- Finished with The Miseducation of Cameron Post, by Emily M. Danforth http://t.co/9UqopAvb0X ->
- RT @ABC: JUST IN: UN Human Rights Council votes to open inquiry into alleged war crimes in Gaza; US votes no – @WilliamsJon http://t.co/gL5… ->
- hell yes! http://t.co/OaGRu1qgje ->
- 90% done with The Miseducation of Cameron Post, by Emily M. Danforth http://t.co/wHH8kQDFuX ->
- Photoset: rapeculturerealities: fuckyeahifightlikeagirl: sweetsugaryshock: beben-eleben: For future… http://t.co/EbfjhjRe9r ->
- Photoset: cursedwithlifexvx: thefloydianworld: Vergvoktre This is awesome. http://t.co/y8PQSTyobN ->
- why!?! http://t.co/kyL2v1e1EZ ->
- Photoset: whatwepretend: "Don’t Tell Me To Smile: A No-Nonsense Guide to Street Harassment" -A zine by… http://t.co/shfMTzb2BT ->
- Photoset: bluedogeyes: The Daily Show 2014-07-17 - Operation Black Hair "Jessica Williams investigates an… http://t.co/T2MB5r1vmB ->
- 53% done with The Miseducation of, by Emily M. Danforth: Coley, you damn blabbermouth you! http://t.co/NmoqY3RbyA ->
- Photo: grownupfangirling: unclefather: this is the scene of the crime Makin’ biscuits, yo. http://t.co/cCRWTWnWXI ->
- If @ShanePBrady decides to fix his teeth, he's going w/braces. #invisalignproblems #invisalign ->
- Plus the three weeks till the new trays arrive/my next appointment. #invisalignproblems #invisalign ->
(Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book for review through Goodreads’ First Reads program.)
Tasked by her boss, the Master of the Thieves Guild, with stealing a priceless artifact from the palace trophy room, Rascal unwittingly witnesses the murder of King Petor and Queen Innaline during the robbery. Worse still, her co-conspirator is none other than Prince Arthir, who soon joins his parents in the grave. Only, the rest of the world doesn’t yet know that the royal family is dead – because their killers, creatures from a hell dimension known collectively as the Umbral, are shape-shifters who have assumed the visages of the King, Queen, and Prince, as well as other key players in Strakhelm. Their goal? World domination. It’s up to young Rascal to keep the Occulus safe and out of Umbral hands.
Based on the book’s tag line – “Orphaned at birth. Raised by smugglers. Taken in by thieves. Running for her life.” – I had some crazy high hopes for Umbral, Book One: Out of the Shadows. A spunky young heroine! Doing crimes and taking names! In a multiverse! And pirates!
Alas, it was not to be. While the story idea is promising, Umbral never quite lives up to its potential. Between the shape shifting and the constant travel between dimensions (Rascal is somehow able to slip in and out of the Umbral), the story can sometimes get confusing – a problem not helped by the artwork, which is oftentimes sloppy and fails to clearly illustrate the many plot twists. For example, a few of the characters (e.g. Dalone and Master Gearge) look so much alike that at first glance they’re often hard to tell apart. And the hell and regular dimensions? So similar that they’re nearly indistinguishable. One just seems to be a different version of the present reality; the only way you can tell one from the other is through the narration, which isn’t always helpful, either.
- Chocolate Almond Crunch Ice Cream – http://t.co/l17rpuJGG3 #vegan #icecream #recipes #whatveganseat ->
- RT @Pasados: The film environmental organizations don't want you to see – http://t.co/6K4okZzL5X ->
- Photoset: catiebat: feministbuffy: nevver: Hey Monster needs more woc. just one is kind of an… http://t.co/VKRufCF20E ->
- RT @LemonheadCooks: The #MarriedWomen hashtag started out with ridiculous "advice", but now it is pretty entertaining reading. ->
- RT @thinkprogress: The CEO of a private prison company is throwing a $10,000-per-plate fundraiser for the governor of Florida. http://t.co/… ->
- Finished with Project Unicorn, Volume 1, by Sarah Diemer http://t.co/aPXejyz4SR ->
- Photo: lorimlee: Reblog this image to be entered to win. Click for Full Details! (and a bonus chance to… http://t.co/YvGCgwgLz8 ->
- RT @erinlee20: RT to win a signed book+swag. Click for Rules! (w/ bonus chance to win) http://t.co/mAthtPjjhM #GatesofThreadAndStone http:/… ->
- RT @bwkids: Summer Reading for all! Ebooks for only $0.99: http://t.co/OXNx9meEqC ->
- 95% done with Project Unicorn, Volume 1, by Sarah Diemer http://t.co/LXFYfNrOs2 ->
I fucking love almonds. If you fucking love almonds too, this just might be the recipe for you.
Creamy, almond-flavored ice cream laced with delicious chunks of chocolate-covered toasted almonds; is there anything else to say? I didn’t think so.
Chocolate Almond Crunch Ice Cream
(for the ice cream batter)
2 cups soy creamer, plain or vanilla
1 cup almond or soy milk, plain or vanilla, divided
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
(for the chocolate almonds)
3/4 cup almonds, toasted
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Photo: acgaughen: Dude. This!! http://t.co/wTJvei4hKa ->
- RT @RalphNader: American Apparel Hides Sexual Harassment and More through Mandatory Arbitration via @Public_Justice http://t.co/0EJwliYtdO ->
- RT @TheDarlingBeast: As the world continues to ignore them,the mothers & daughters of Kobanê take up arms to protect themselves from ISIS h… ->
- .@ellabeereads finally posted her BEA14 book haul and is giving away a stack of ARCs to celebrate. Enter to win! http://t.co/nQySWlGAVY ->
- animalplace: Newman! Roosters are integral members of a healthy flock. They are the first line of defense… http://t.co/GFOb3PhLL5 ->
- 85% done with Project Unicorn, Volume 1, by Sarah Diemer http://t.co/ZCX0qkSta5 ->
- RT @BeagleFreedom: The dogs from our DC7 Rescue MARCH ON WASHINGTON! Read more: http://t.co/95tefgcYvi #beagles #animaltesting #freedom htt… ->
- RT @MeaganSpooner: Help me celebrate my b-day by winning ALL my books… it's reader appreciation time w/ an international giveaway! http:/… ->
- Photoset: meaganspooner: Years ago, when I first started blogging about writing and my hopes of one day… http://t.co/edqXEVvO4h ->
- Photoset: meaganspooner: If you’re just hearing about my international Reader Appreciation Giveaway for the… http://t.co/O42dIEbLMB ->
- RT @MacVegan: http://t.co/HZvo18mnVI Plz help ifUcan & RT this little #abandoned #rescue #dog & go #vegan http://t.co/3TMorBfyp1 ->
- Photoset: thepenguinpress: Via Buzzfeed The Greatest Book Dedications You Will Ever Read http://t.co/N26E1ehull ->
- 3 of 5 stars to Umbral by Antony Johnston http://t.co/8VEJ6bM9RT ->
- 3 of 5 stars to Umbral by Antony Johnston https://t.co/TRgWIVh8hM ->
- Photoset: 2damnfeisty: rozhanitsa: 2damnfeisty: Nobody gives the black girl mob credit for being smart as… http://t.co/S7PFLJRnze ->
Things that make you go “EWWWWWWWWWW!”
Fact One: a boat had arrived.
Fact Two: he and the boys were on an isolated island over an hour from home. No weapons other than their knives – blades no longer than three and a half inches, as outlined in the Scout Handbook – and a flare gun. It was night. They were alone.
It was supposed to be a last hurrah for the boys of Troop Fifty-Two.
At fourteen years old, the guys – Kent, Ephraim, Max, Shelley, and Newton – had come up together through Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, and Venturers, but most (save for the ever-nerdy Newt) now felt that they were too old to be running around in the wilderness, earning merit badges for activities as dorky as bird watching and first aid. And so the late-autumn camping trip to Falstaff Island was to be their final adventure together, much to Scoutmaster Tim’s disappointment.
Their peace and quiet is interrupted on the very first night, with the unexpected arrival of an emaciated and ravenous stranger in a speed boat. While Tim attempts to treat the obviously ill man (in his other life, the Scoutmaster is a GP), there’s no cure for what ills him. “Typhoid Tom,” as he’d later come to be known in the papers, is Patient Zero in an experiment gone horribly wrong…or horribly right, depending on which project backer you’re talking to.
- RT @dresdencodak: On the subject of a female Thor: http://t.co/WxdJkWznrd http://t.co/yoHZE7m3ij ->
- RT @MyThoughtsLit: 200 followers? Time for a giveaway! Choice of two July & August ARCs. Follow and RT by midnight EST on 7/18 to enter! ht… ->
- Photo: facesofsanctuary: Caregiver Celeste giving Ivan belly-rubs. Pigs are very tactile and love to be… http://t.co/98W8Waotmx ->
- Photo: themarysue: orphanblack: OBTumblr is pleased to announce… The Official Orphan Black #CloneClub… http://t.co/e3rrJqDqK5 ->
- GOP moderates revolt in Kansas http://t.co/bgM8UvS8fF via @POLITICO Brownback is the worst tho. ->