These zucchini “chips”
- I feel weird calling them “chips” after making all those dehydrated zucchini chips. Now those were chips; this recipe produces something more like baked rounds. A little on the crispy side, but true chips these are not! -
are somewhat similar to the Baked Zucchini Sticks I posted last month, but with slightly different seasonings and baked on a rack instead of cookie sheets. Plus they’re round, yo! Whatever. Those sticks are so good, no one can blame me for blogging ‘em twice.
This time around, I tried adding a sprinkling of vegan mozzarella cheese on top, for extra cheesy goodness. The results were mixed: the Daiya I used bypassed the melty stage, going straight to crispy. Which is weird, ’cause I thought that was Follow Your Heart’s job? Anyway, you might get better results using another vegan cheese. Teese, maybe? Those tubular cheeses seem a sure shot, since you can cut them to fit. Shreds just end up all over the place: the baking sheet, the counter, the floor, your shirt, the dogs’ mouths, anywhere and everywhere but on the damn zukes.
Also worth a try: mixing some shreds in with the batter. The only question is, will they stick? Try it and report back to me, people, because it’s too hot to fire this oven up again!
Last but not least: I baked half the chips on a baking rack and the other half on cookie sheets (because I only own one oven-safe rack…naturally), and the two sets of chips were nearly indistinguishably. Though the original recipe calls for racks, either way should be fine.
Breaded & Baked Zucchini Chips
(Adapted from this recipe at health.com.)
1/2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
1 batch (~3/4 cup) vegan parmesan cheese (recipe below)
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt + extra to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder + extra to taste
black pepper to taste
4 tablespoons nondairy milk
1 large or 2 medium-sized zucchini, sliced into 1/4″ rounds
Vegan mozzarella cheese (optional)
(for the vegan parmesan)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup walnuts OR almonds
a dash of salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Begin by making the vegan parmesan. In a food processor, combine the nutritional yeast, walnuts, salt, and olive oil. Pulse until well-blended and “crumbly.” Set aside.
3. Combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and black pepper in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended. Place the nondairy milk in a small bowl. Dip the zucchini slices in the milk and then dredge them through the breadcrumb mix. Or, to prevent the batter from getting gummy, sprinkle the breadcrumbs onto each side of the zucchini slices with a spoon. (H/t, Marji!)
4. Place the coated zucchini slices on an ovenproof wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a baking sheet. (If you don’t have a rack, baking sheets work well too!) Sprinkle with a bit of vegan mozzarella cheese if desired.
5. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until browned and crispy. Enjoy asap!