- RT @holly_holl: wh…why would you expect your dog to recognize Denzel Washington https://t.co/bilDoPkPJk ->
- RT @Mysmileydog: "Yay the snow is back" said only Smiley https://t.co/tfG4t2NM4w ->
- RT @julieburtonwmc: In Women’s Strike, Media Miss a Moment to Look in Mirror https://t.co/pnOWTijqrU ->
- RT @DcComicsUnited: Should be here soon.. https://t.co/pu49didkSP ->
- That took a turn. – Liam Neeson Calls George Costanza's Answering Machine https://t.co/Ns6AsrFWhs ->
Oh, my Rennie. Given the year (decade?) we’ve had (and we’re not even a quarter of the way through yet!), you have to live forever. Or at least to the ripe old age of twenty-three. Anything else might very well kill me. No pressure or anything. :P
On that note, I know that today is kind of blah, but I promise that we’ll celebrate your birthday-slash-adoption-day-a-versary in true We Rate Dogs style next week. Your uncle Mike is coming to visit, and there will be loads of walks, belly rubs aplenty, and, dog willing, maybe even a trip to the drive-in (or two or three). We will cram so much fun into so few days that you may never want to chase a ball again. Just kidding! Knock on wood! The day that happens will be a sad one indeed.
On that note: I love you! But I have calls to make, books to sort, and maybe even a few people to yell at. We shall see how the day progresses. Just know that I’m doing it all for you. You and Mags and Finnick, you’re the reason for my being. The things I’m trying to claw my way back for. You three are my everything.
Love you, forever and always,
- RT @internet_seeker: lmao HOw is this a real thing??? https://t.co/hw8ZGP1UbN ->
- RT @btiarao: Ex: #SandraBland couldn't afford her $5,000 bail & was forced to stay in jail. 3 days later she was found dead in her cell. #B… ->
- RT @fivefifths: "Allowed" https://t.co/6F5sQMOfeL ->
- RT @EricHaywood: Is this the Trump administration's version of #GetOut or nah https://t.co/NpsKuUuFqw ->
- RT @grynbaum: State Dept asked NYC Medical Examiner not to disclose cause of death of Russian UN ambassador who died last month https://t.c… ->
- RT @fieriwap: I love gene https://t.co/eAyCp2d9cu ->
- @gourmet_nuts Neat! DM me & we'll talk. :) in reply to gourmet_nuts ->
- RT @OriginalFunko: RT & follow @OriginalFunko for the chance to win a @HotTopic exclusive Poison Ivy Pop! https://t.co/IFioV8dkrr ->
- RT @RegalMovies: FOLLOW us & RT for a chance to win this #Logan's Journey poster signed by @RealHughJackman! Get Logan tickets: https://t.c… ->
- RT @OriginalFunko: RT & follow @OriginalFunko for the chance to win a Barbie Rock Candy prize pack! Happy Barbie Day! https://t.co/avv9xSqh… ->
- RT @ReignOfApril: Philando Castile was shot in cold blood in front of a child & his GF for a broken taillight. He didn't get the chance to… ->
- 4 of 5 stars to The Furies by Natalie Haynes https://t.co/P5KOoaZZJn ->
- RT @SirPatStew: Thanks to @ASPCA and @WagsandWalks Sunny and I are finally fostering our 1st pitbull! Meet Ginger. I'm in LOVE. #AdoptDontS… ->
- RT @FilmLinc: Ava DuVernay will be the first African American woman to direct a film with a budget over $100 million. #IWD2017 https://t.co… ->
- RT @johnjcook: this is profoundly depressing! https://t.co/rYUW4PNMtf ->
Dark and beautiful, but ultimately unsatisfying.
(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic ARC for review through Edelweiss. Trigger warning for child abuse, miscarriage, and misogyny.)
It would have been better not to have any babies at all than to give birth to two girls. Some even said it was an act of spite on the mother’s part. Only a truly disobedient woman would do such a thing.
She couldn’t get away from the monster. She was the monster.
— 3.5 stars —
Once upon a time, in a village near the forest in the land of Byd, two babies were born. They came into the world a mere two minutes apart, after their mother had labored for days. They were girls in a world that considered female children useless and unlucky; identical twins in a land ruled by superstition and mistrust. Mirror twins, at that: each a reflection of her sister, her other half.
Mindful of their neighbors’ intolerance, the woman and her husband kept the children at home, hidden from prying eyes. At least as long as they were able. This grew increasingly necessary, as the village was wracked by drought and famine, year after year. But one fateful day a visitor selling eggs caught sight of three-year-old Angelica and Benedicta; and by nightfall, an angry mob had gathered outside the family’s door. Determined to be a witch and the offspring of her coupling with the Beast, respectively, the mother and her twins were banished to the forest upon threat of death.
The girls grew wild and feral while their mother withered and faded away. Eventually they became orphans, alone save for each other – and the bitterness eating away at their hearts. The resulting hole could only be filled with the fear and hatred of others; of people like the ones who created them.
Once upon another time, also in the village of Gwenith, there lived a precocious seven-year-old girl whose brain wandered at night. One fateful evening her feet and legs followed. Though Alys’s parents cautioned her to never go out at night, lest she encounter the much-feared soul eaters – or, worse still, their master, The Beast – she disobeyed. By morning, every adult in Gwenith would be dead. Killed by the soul eaters, who Alys encountered in the pastures during her midnight stroll. She failed to sound the alarm. She was as bad as the soul eaters. She killed them all.
- RT @ParisBurned: I see Sarah ain't with the bullshit today. https://t.co/Ub6Jbj1VUv ->
- RT @tristanreveur: The Republican health plan. https://t.co/Ej3ZOhMou8 ->
- RT @DannyZuker: Chaffetz's iPhone comment shows what the GOP believes. The poor are irresponsible. The rich work harder. All policy flows… ->
- RT @CollectorCorps: RT & follow @CollectorCorps for a chance to win a Gamora Pop! https://t.co/gUmXk4xrdC ->
- RT @OriginalFunko: RT & follow @OriginalFunko for the chance to win a Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 box from @CollectorCorps! https://t… ->
Not for the faint of heart.
(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic ARC for review through Netgalley. Trigger warning for child abuse and violence against women, including rape, as well as suicide. This review contains clearly marked spoilers, but I tried to keep it as vague as possible.)
“Roanoke girls never last long around here.” She skipped along the hall, her voice growing fainter as she moved, like we were standing at opposite ends of a tunnel. “In the end, we either run or we die.”
My feelings for Allegra were never complicated. It didn’t matter if she acted crazy or made me angry or smothered me with devotion. In my whole life, she was the only person I simply loved. And I left her anyway.
Camilla Roanoke’s suicide doesn’t come as a surprise to her fifteen-year-old daughter Lane. For as long as she can remember, her mother has struggled with depression – not to mention alcoholism, mood swings, and blinding bouts of rage. Some days the tears come so fast and thick that they threaten to drown them both. So when she’s found dead in their NYC bathroom, bathrobe belt wrapped around her neck, Lane is more or less numb. Yet the cryptic note Camilla left behind – I tried to wait. I’m sorry. – puzzles Lane. The news that she has family – her mother’s parents, Yates and Lillian Roanoke – who aren’t merely willing to take Lane, but actually want her? Well, that’s the biggest shock of all.
Camilla rarely spoke of her life on the family estate, Roanoke, situated among the prairies and wheat fields of Osage Flats, Kansas. And there’s a damn good reason for it – one that Lane will discover during summer she turns sixteen. One hundred days of being a “Roanoke Girl” was all she could take before she fled Kansas – hopefully for good.
Eleven years later, a late-night phone call from her grandfather summons Lane back to Roanoke. Back home. Her cousin Allegra is missing, and Lane is determined to find out what happened. It’s the least she can do, for leaving Allegra behind all those years ago.
- RT @mic: ICE arrested California father of 4 while he dropped kids at school in a harrowing video https://t.co/30seItn4eX https://t.co/DbJY… ->
- RT @NifMuhammad: but I was told that he truly became president earlier this week https://t.co/ozo4bwM5Z0 ->
- RT @JuddLegum: "The time for small fights is behind us" — Trump, four days ago https://t.co/dH9Q0BtsUG ->
- RT @cushbomb: When the captain lets you steer the boat for a minute because it's your birthday. https://t.co/9WadWNGBUp ->
- RT @ParkerMolloy: I found him, the saddest Nazi. https://t.co/mIDY7DRTP0 ->
- RT @RafaelAnchia: Our office getting calls from desperate moms asking what kind of paperwork they need to make this designation. @MALCTx hi… ->
- RT @artfulIy: star trails https://t.co/7WfYXNMgRm ->
- RT @MotherJones: Mississippi still won't make domestic abuse grounds for divorce https://t.co/rHlslTQyqd ->
- RT @mike_pence: .@realDonaldTrump and I commend the FBI for reopening an investigation into Clinton's personal email server because no one… ->
- RT @CoastToCoastLax: CONTEST TIME! Get your chance to Win a Hoodie. RT this and Follow us to get Entered. https://t.co/LPqYHq1Xge Right on.… ->
- RT @PenguinTeen: We're #WaitingOnWednesday for #AlexAndEliza by @MelissadelaCruz! RT using #sweepstakes to win. US only, rules: https://t.c… ->
- 30% done with The Furies, by Natalie Haynes: This was … maybe not the best choice of b… https://t.co/UNll0e5HW0 ->
- RT @maxthegirl: Ted Cruz also suggested Sessions may have misspoke because he had been subjected to hours of grilling. https://t.co/ipJNuHM… ->
- Tell Congress: #Immigrant families lift our economy, communities, and country. #FactsMatter #Facts https://t.co/gAEWHergNx ->
- RT @EricBoehlert: it worked. NYT put phony immigration compromise story on Page One https://t.co/PxnBpPX5ys ->
- RT @attn: Child speaks volumes with sign that reads “I’m the scary transgender person the media warned you about.” https://t.co/Vv5KRBiReT ->
- RT @neeratanden: Step one in sending people into the shadows… https://t.co/V6L36bBDh0 ->
- RT @Ava_Jae: 1 yr ago today, my YA exoplanet alien book BEYOND THE RED was released. I'm giving away a signed HC to celebrate. RT&F by 3/15… ->
- RT @Jezebel: Democratic women in congress wore their best suffragette whites to Trump's speech. https://t.co/o42X0tPXNv https://t.co/Gj6Azz… ->
- RT @CAPAction: We did the math…
Trump told a whopping 51 lies in his 61-minuted #Jointsession address.
(Full GoogleDoc is coming!) htt… ->
- RT @laura_jayyne: RT & FOLLOW to win both!
New UK Paperback Lady Midnight by @cassieclare & Heartless UK Paperback by @marissa_meyer 😊 (End… ->
- RT @aishacs: Two [terrorists] get prison terms for [terrorizing] kids with slurs, flags and [guns].
Fixed the headline. You're welcome. ht… ->
- RT @adamslily: "We are witnessing a renewal of the American spirit." – Trump
Yes we are. https://t.co/gHvQBgy7Se ->
- RT @softsoIace: dev patel and andrew garfield as boyfriends in a movie rt if u agree https://t.co/vqCHwH0w9m ->
- RT @kenobarnes: viola davis has murdered casey affleck in her head in 15 different ways already https://t.co/CvvnD0LKE2 ->
- RT @BandryBarry: STILL SPEECHLESS https://t.co/qe3NUDWAHM ->
- RT @postbadhtgawm: Viola Davis – The first black actor in history to win an Oscar, Emmy and Tony. A legend. https://t.co/oDVjATP308 ->
- RT @tyler_struble: My aesthetic: Brie Larson not clapping for literal trash hole casey affleck https://t.co/Ci5LWXLkCr ->
Heck no to the plot twist.
(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic ARC for review through NetGalley. This review contains spoilers.)
A dazzling debut novel—at once a charming romance and a moving coming-of-age story—about what happens when a fourteen-year old boy pretends to seduce a girl to steal a copy of Playboy but then discovers she is his computer-loving soulmate.
Billy Marvin’s first love was a computer. Then he met Mary Zelinsky.
Do you remember your first love?
The Impossible Fortress begins with a magazine…The year is 1987 and Playboy has just published scandalous photographs of Vanna White, from the popular TV game show Wheel of Fortune. For three teenage boys—Billy, Alf, and Clark—who are desperately uneducated in the ways of women, the magazine is somewhat of a Holy Grail: priceless beyond measure and impossible to attain. So, they hatch a plan to steal it.
The heist will be fraught with peril: a locked building, intrepid police officers, rusty fire escapes, leaps across rooftops, electronic alarm systems, and a hyperactive Shih Tzu named Arnold Schwarzenegger. Failed attempt after failed attempt leads them to a genius master plan—they’ll swipe the security code to Zelinsky’s convenience store by seducing the owner’s daughter, Mary Zelinsky. It becomes Billy’s mission to befriend her and get the information by any means necessary. But Mary isn’t your average teenage girl. She’s a computer loving, expert coder, already strides ahead of Billy in ability, with a wry sense of humor and a hidden, big heart. But what starts as a game to win Mary’s affection leaves Billy with a gut-wrenching choice: deceive the girl who may well be his first love or break a promise to his best friends.
(Synopsis via Goodreads)
- RT @violadavis: My family. Thank you everyone for your love and support! https://t.co/5thsM7y3HT ->
- RT @SethAbramson: Retweet if you want Alec Baldwin to fill in for Donald Trump at the White House Correspondents' Dinner on April 29th. htt… ->
- RT @EmilyGorcenski: So
you'll have the same experience as a woman going into Planned Parenthood to get a routine exam. https://t.co/dypP8I… ->
- RT @GWillowWilson: They're just shredding the Constitution outright now. https://t.co/aKOKD8NR5e ->
- RT @louisvirtel: The In Memoriam reel will now include everyone who was within ten feet of this dynamite. https://t.co/HTxfI4snQf ->
- RT @BLOWthisJAE_: So when hasn't racism been terrifying? https://t.co/zbIcwRNlCK ->
- RT @EBONYMag: "Even though you don’t always see it, it’s there." In Jordan Peele’s Horror Film #GetOut Racism is the Real Monster: https://… ->
- RT @RandallTrang: These two cosplayers got married and it's the most adorable thing I've ever seen. #weddingphotogoals #weddinggoals https:… ->
- RT @landpsychology: Looks like a cartoon explosive blew up in her face https://t.co/fevZq1ZCEz ->
- RT @smarx_: "It's time to stop saying, 'This is how authoritarian regimes start…' and say, 'This is an authoritarian regime.'" #FreedomOf… ->
- RT @hafsahfaizal: I'm ridiculously excited for THE HATE U GIVE by @acthomasbooks. So let's have a giveaway: RT + follow by 2/28 for a chanc… ->
- RT @bad_robot: RT for a chance to win a canvas tote, made at the Bad Robot Workshop! https://t.co/BYwlirwdbD ->
- RT @KirtidaGautam: I am reaching close to my 1000 followers!
Time for a give away 🙌
RT this tweet to win hardcover copy of MY SISTER ROSA… ->
- RT @OriginalFunko: RT & follow @OriginalFunko for the chance to win a Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 box from @CollectorCorps! https://t… ->
- RT @pagewithaview: ✨GIVEAWAY✨
RT + follow me to enter to win a signed hardcover of A Conjuring of Light by @veschwab! Ends March 7, open to… ->
- RT @Gryphongirl2007: Giveaway! RT & Follow to win the entire Legend trilogy. US only. Ends 3/22 @ 11pm EST https://t.co/YS3gYnsLyJ ->
- RT @LibyaLiberty: It's almost like he's a liar. https://t.co/TbIXxh9WoP ->
- RT @tmorello: In these dark and dangerous times it helps to sometimes step back and enjoy Animal Band Photos: https://t.co/YLjF8ttHrw ->
- RT @pstokesbooks: VICARIOUS is a dark, mind-bending thriller–great for fans of #MrRobot or #JessicaJones RT + follow by 2/26 for chance to… ->
- RT @mariamthekid: RT & Follow to win a signed/personalized copy of THE WRATH AND THE DAWN by @rahdieh! Ends 3/6 – US only (sorry!) https://… ->
- RT @deray: real. https://t.co/dvnbtq2aQb ->
- RT @allinwithchris: Constituent asks Sen. Tom Cotton: What kind of insurance do you have? #inners https://t.co/pdlCYxJMtz ->
- RT @CollectorCorps: RT & follow @CollectorCorps for a chance to win @Guardians Vol. 2 box! #GOTG2 https://t.co/YQJNYD2bOO ->
- RT @FunkoDCLegion: RT & follow @FunkoDCLegion for a chance to WIN a Walmart Exclusive Batmobile Dorbz Ridez! https://t.co/WCXcWat38B ->
- RT @SocialBflyMag: Social Sister Scarlett takes the Social Fur Sisters out and about! Win a $25 PetSmart GC! Follow, Fav & RT to win! https… ->